Announcing our new Slack integration

Hey everyone, hope you’re doing well. This week we were excited to kick things off with the launch of Geckoboard Snapshots for Slack, which is available now on all Geckoboard accounts! :tada:

What it does

In a nutshell, our Slack integration enables you to post snapshots of dashboards on your Geckoboard account to specific Slack channels. These snapshots can be scheduled from within the ‘Share’ menu on a dashboard, and at the moment they can be sent to Slack once a day at a time of your choice.

The snapshots that appear in Slack are static screenshots of your dashboard, taken at the time you’ve specified, which can then be viewed, reacted to and commented on in Slack by members of that channel.

Background

As we went into lockdown at the start of the COVID-19 crisis, we started to think about how Geckoboard could be improved to help teams stay in sync, remain focused, and feel motivated during this period of uncertainty.

In more ordinary times, having an easy-to-read dashboard up on a big screen in the office would be the perfect way to rally everyone around a goal and share important company data. But these are not ordinary times, and with most businesses being forced to embrace remote work, we wanted to explore ways that teams can use Geckoboard without having to rely on big screens.

Our Slack integration is our first new initiative that’s aimed at helping teams put important numbers front and center whilst everyone is working remotely. In addition, we’ve also recently improved the way our dashboards behave on mobile devices, meaning your dashboards are now beautifully formatted for smaller screens.

Get involved

We’re planning more improvements and features to help teams keep important numbers front and center going forward, and we’d love to understand how you’re keeping eyes on your data during these times. If you have any specific challenges you’re facing, workarounds, new ways of thinking, or just want to vent, comment below, or feel free to drop me a direct message!

2 Likes

Our Support team Slack channel is private and this integration does not work with Private Slack channels. Please add this functionality.

Hey Sandeep, I’ve fed this back to the team, and support for private Slack channels is on our radar as a potential future update to the integration, although as it comes with some complexities, I can’t say when or if this might be added for sure. It’s really useful to know this though, so thanks for your feedback, and I’ll drop an update here if we’re able to make progress on adding this soon. Hope you have a great weekend

Is it possible to just have this sent out on weekdays?

Thanks for the feedback @Nathan_Zitzmann. It’s currently not possible to limit daily snapshots to weekdays only but we are looking into frequency whilst we explore how we can improve the Slack integration. Can I ask why you’d like only weekday snapshots? Any context or feedback around how you are using the Slack integration is super helpful for the product team :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, I wondered that because I didn’t recall it as being an option when I set up the integration.

The reason I would like it to only be weekday snapshots is I’m having a dashboard of the daily factory output sent out to the entire company. We only ship on weekdays so now it’s sending everyone a notification on Saturday and Sunday that we shipped 0 units. It’s not the end of the world but it would be an improvement to be able to change it.

Thanks for the reply!

Great feedback @Nathan_Zitzmann, I’ve passed this on to our Product Team. Thank you! :bowing_woman:t2:

@Sandeep_Jindal Our Slack integration now supports posting to Private Channels :tada:

1 Like

Hey Slack Team! Very cool integration :slight_smile:

One request from our team - the ability to send a Slack message to a channel (public or private) when a certain threshold is hit (X # of Calls in Queue, for example) to essentially notify everyone to hop on the phones.

Thanks for the continuous development! Such a great tool for us!

1 Like

Hi @Matt_Bryant - really useful feedback and a great idea, thank you. I’ve passed this on to our Product team to consider whilst they are developing the integration. I’ll keep you posted :slightly_smiling_face: