📚 BOOK CLUB: Motivation - Win a copy of ‘Drive’ by Daniel H. Pink 📚

In our community book club this month we’re looking for recommendations for books exploring motivation. During these strange times it can be harder than usual to find motivation as an individual and as part of a team so we felt it would be a good topic to discuss.

We have 3 x copies of ‘Drive’ by Daniel H. Pink (a Geckoboard favourite) to give away, and all you need to do for the chance to win them is:

Tell us, in a couple of lines, about a book you’ve read that’s helped you with motivation (yourself and/or your team) and why you’d recommend it. Also include a link to a place to buy your book if you can find one.

Here’s an example from Thaisa our VP of People Operations at Geckoboard:

Recommending: Turn the Ship Around! A True Story of Building Leaders by Breaking the Rules by L. David Marquet

Why: Nice short chapters. Plenty of easily digestible thought-provoking stuff. Easy to apply as well. And it’s about a submarine, so you are getting that nice juxtaposition of it being about management/people skills/motivation, but not in an office environment.

We will pick our three favourite answers and send out a copy of ‘Drive’ in the mail to each of the winners. To be in with a chance of winning one of the three copies please leave your suggestion below before Friday 5th June. The winners will be announced here after the closing date.

2 Likes

I would recommend ‘Leaders Eat Last’ here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Eat-Last-Together-Others/dp/1591848016/ref=pd_sim_14_6/147-5397260-8231468

Why?

Interesting and easy read with a whole bunch of case studies looking into behaviours, workplace cultures and how teams work best. It’s great for leaders who want to see examples of how sharing the vision, engaging the team and involving them in the whole process works to build a more motivated team.

1 Like

This book has had some very great press recently after its author Admiral William H. McRaven public address have gone viral on YouTube, my recommendation would be Make Your Bed (Little things that can change your life… and maybe the world)

check out the youtube vid here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

The book closely reflects the speech and the speech has a positive and uplifting effect on all who view it, an easy book to pick up and put down, once opened you’ll be picking it up many times

2 Likes

My recommendation would be:

Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff… And It’s All Small Stuff by Richard Carlson

Why?

It’s bite-size, inspirational and makes you put things in perspective. It teaches you how to conserve energy, double-down on the things that matter, and learn how to deal with the things that don’t. It’s helped me re-energise many times. :tada:

1 Like

This book club competition is now officially closed :closed_book:

Huge thanks to @sid @stuartogden and @Josh for your entries. Some great selections here, I am certainly adding all three to my lockdown reading list. I’ll private message each of you to arrange your copies of Drive to be sent out.

Keep your eyes peeled here in the Made to Measure community for the next book club, coming soon… :books: :tada: :spiral_calendar:

1 Like