Push to Geckoboard's custom widgets from a Google Sheet

Jason - it works!!! I’m so happy I have tears in my eyes. Thank you! - Caitlin

Hi Caitlin,

I’m glad to hear that it works for you :slight_smile:

Hi Jason,

Thanks for this awesome guide! You’re a great help in helping me set up my company 1st Geckoboard.
Now, I’m getting a it stuck. Basically, I have a bunch of survey open answers from customer satisfaction. I’ve worked out a process that automatically pick out the top 10 comments to be showcased on the dashboard, but I don’t know how to push them onto the dashboard.
Could you help me with a script to push rows of strings from Google Sheet into the custom text widget?

Many thanks

Hey @langswchertz,

Thanks for posting! :slight_smile:

Jason should be online in a few hours. In the meantime, I’ve edited the script to push to custom Text widgets as well. You can find the modified script here:

The steps will be the same as for the other widget types. Here’s a sample Google Sheet I created to push to a Text widget:

As mentioned in our custom widgets developer docs, you can pass 1 for ‘alert’ and 1 for ‘info’ by adding it to the Column B cells in the Google Sheet. If nothing is passed, the default 0 will be sent and no icon will be added.

Here’s a GIF showing how the widget would display:

@langswchertz Also wanted to mention, we’re in the process of adding support for Text widgets under our Spreadsheets integration. You’ll then be able to display such text data directly from your sheet, without requiring any scripts.

We expect it to be ready in a couple of weeks. I’ll be sure to personally notify you when it’s released :slight_smile:

@langswchertz Further to @hariharan’s last message, we have just shipped the text visualization for our Spreadsheets integration! You’ll find more information on our what’s new page at https://www.geckoboard.com/whats-new/32/

Hi Jason,

Is there anyway I can add the percentage to the Pie Chart?

Hi @vienna, it should be possible to add the percentages to your Pie Chart using Jason’s method and Google Sheet’s functions.

I had a go by adding two columns to the original spreadsheet: A “Total” column where I calculate the sum of all values and a “PIE” column that is basically a replacement for the original “PIE” column where I concatenate the Pie slices to their percentages and the % sign. You can see the formulas and my layout in the screenshot below:

The result is the widget on this dashboard:

Great! Thanks very much Luis

Hi Luis,
Can you also help with the script for monitoring custom chart? I can’t find it anywhere. Thanks a lot

Hi @vienna, my colleague @hariharan amended the script above to feature the MONITORING type:

You can find the updated script here: https://github.com/jasonmendes/geckoboard-custom-widgets-google-sheets/blob/master/index.gs

The column order is: status, down time, response time

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further help! :slight_smile:

Thanks @jason you beat me to it :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Bar Chart’s Custom CSS

Hi @jason,
I’d like to have a custom line chart like this. Tried guessing the code but failed. Do you have any guide for this custom widget?

I’m using the standard line chart but it doesn’t support 3wx1h. Gotta switch to custom.

Hi @vienna, let me have a look and get back to about this!

Hi again @vienna, while I haven’t had time to implement the multi-series Google Sheets -> Custom widget script, I think you’ll enjoy this better: we’ll be instead adding the 3w x 1h size to the Spreadsheets widgets :slight_smile: I’ll follow up here when it’s available - which should be in the next day or so. Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay!

That sounds great. Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi @vienna, we just shipped the 3w x 1h visualization size :tada: Let me know if you encounter any issues :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

There was more interest in the map widget type, so I added it to the script. For now it uses just latitude and longitude, and you can optionally add size and color. Here’s an example:

The columns are latitude, longitude, size, and color. Also note that size color is a hex code, you’ll want to change the cell formatting of that column to Plain Text, otherwise Google Sheets will change 008850 to just 8850 and you won’t get the color you wanted.

Screenshot from 2017-11-15 15-34-37

Here’s the outcome: