Zabbix integration

Hi all,

Does anyone using Geckoboard have an integration with Zabbix up and running? I’m probably going to work with the datasets API to add our Zabbix monitoring data to our dashboard but I thought I’d check if anyone’s already done it. FYI we’re using Zabbix 3.0.

Hey @lugash, I haven’t come across anything for Zabbix yet – which resources from the API meet your metrics needs? :slight_smile: What stack are you going to connect to Zabbix and publish the data to Geckoboard with? :microscope: Happy to help how I can!

Hi Jason, I’m probably going to build this in PHP as it’s what we’re used to and there’s a zabbix api library available for it. I’m just doing some exploration at the moment but I’ll post whatever I develop here in case it’s useful to anyone.

Quick question, Jason: what are the benefits of using the datasets API over custom widgets? I ask because I’ve found a PHP library that works with custom widgets, but as yet haven’t found anything for PHP that works with datasets.

I know I can call the datasets API by using PHP’s curl library or similar, but ideally it would be great to use something more native.

Hi @lugash, I imagine that any library that wraps Geckoboard’s custom widgets provide convenience over the subtle API differences in the widget body formats. Datasets, however, all expect the same format, so it is fairly simple to wrap it, even with PHP’s curl like you say. I don’t know if you’re familiar with JS, but here’s a small wrapper I made for datasets: which may be much more verbose than it would be in PHP, as there I’m using Node’s ‘raw’ https library.

As for which to choose, the Datasets platform is much more flexible! For custom widgets, you push up data exactly as it must match for the visualization, and you must do this for every visualization (widget) that you want.

For Datasets, you can create as many visualizations as you want from a single dataset. The data body is more generalized against a schema, and so in the Geckoboard UI/app you can select the visualization type, apply filters, and otherwise very easily fine tune what you’d like to display, without needing to change the underlying data.

You can try Datasets right away, actually! Just click Add widget > Datasets, and you should have available the demo dataset, called ‘’.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you’d like me to clarify anything further :slight_smile:

Yeah, I decided to take a look at datasets anyway and I think I’ll see what I can do with them. It would be nice to have the convenience of a library but curl is good enough for the job, for now anyway.