Geckoboard Developer Community

Dates offset by one day in line chart


Hi All,

I have a dataset with dates from the beginning of the month… 1 Nov 2016, 2 Nov 2016 etc. However, in the line chart, all those data are displayed with one day offset… so the data point for 1 Nov 2016 is displayed for October 31 etc.

Any advice on how to correct this behavior?




Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for asking! Can you check the time zone settings for the dashboard you have the widget on? You can click on Dashboard settings then find the time zone setting:

It may take a few minutes for the changes to be reflected in the widgets. Let me know if that works for you, but if not I’d be glad to check further if there is a bug!


Okay, I checked and the time zone is correctly set to Los Angeles.


Hi Rebecca, sorry for my late reply :disappointed: I somehow didn’t get the usual notification about your reply.

Would it be ok if I took a look at your dashboard to investigate? If that’s alright, just send me a private message with the email you used to sign up. Or otherwise, could you share here the dataset that you’ve pushed up? I’d like to look into this further.


Hi Jason,

Feel free to look at my lead_type_dataset!

Thanks for your help,



Hi guys, I’ve been having the exact same problem. Were you able to figure it out? My timezone settings are correct but I’m not sure why it should even matter given that I’m providing a flat YYYY-MM-DD string.



Hi @pedrogfp, sorry for my late reply here. We found that it is a bug - when the field is {"type": "date"} then it is interpretted as midnight UTC of that day and the dashboard applies the offset from UTC, thus making it set back a day in the case of e.g. California.

While we’re planning to fix this, the interim workaround is to change your field to {"type": "datetime"} and thus supplying a full timestamp + timezone, e.g. `“2016-11-28T00:00:00-07:00”.

Let me know if you need a hand with that, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience! As well, I’ll update here when we’ve fixed this bug.


Can you advise when this issue will be resolved? I changed everything, deleted my data in the dataset and now I get an error:

Starting at 02:15 AM on 03-07-2017, webhook 2 had the following problem:

400 Error: {“error”:{“message”:“The supplied value for “date” is not a datetime: [2017-03-06 09:15 PM]”}}

I have checked everything as correct but still get an error.


Hi Richard,

Sorry, we don’t yet know when this will be fixed. I can see however what’s going on with your request.

You’ll want to make sure you’re first passing the datetime as a string, and you’ll want to format it as YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ssZ.

For the date that you’ve pasted from the error, 2017-03-06 09:15 PM, you’ll want to format it as 2017-03-06T21:15:00-00:00 (and adjust for your timezone).

Notice the end, -00:00, this is the UTC offset. For example, Los Angeles has a UTC offset of -08:00, so the same datetime in Los Angeles would be 2017-03-06T21:15:00-80:00

Let me know if this works for you or if you still are getting an error!