Hi there @ausmarkb,
It looks like you're sorted now with Datasets, but (just in case you're curious or would like to use Custom Widgets again some time in the future), I did a test with your code and figured out where things were going wrong.
It looks like you were missing the
"data": element used to push the bar chart contents to the widget so that we were encountering
"x_axis": and not understanding what to do with it.
Here's what the JSON body should have looked like:
"labels": ["open", "pending", "solved", "closed"]
"data": [45, 4, 251, 554]
I tested this with a widget in my own account and it definitely worked but if you do give this a try and run into more problems, just let me know.
I hope this helps!